« Home | Bezier » | Off to the south » | Pinch, punch.... » | Quiet day » | Nice view » | RSS geek out » | Move it! » | Back in Paris » | On the road again! » | Farnham » 

Monday, September 04, 2006 

Avignon

In a repeat of yesterday, we were up at around 7am, in a taxi by about 7:30 and at the fair by 8am. This morning we had everything set up, so we were able to sit around for an hour or 2 before we got any invoices, read books and soak up some rays. At times like these that the job is quite bearable, but it wasn't long before we were getting work handed to us and all went crazy for a couple of hours. Although much of the fair was in halls this time, rather than outside, like Bezier, the areas outside were on dusty ground, so that all the people walking around (and especially when they were leaving) kicked up quite a dust storm. The heat was much like the day before and I think this shortened people's tempers because at one point, when everyone was packing up, we saw two people arguing and then one of them chasing after the other with a meat hook!!! I guess the antiques business can be a bit rough and ready at times!?!?
In a rerun of the previous day, we packed up the van and pointed it towards the next fair, Montpellier. On the way there we passed one of those roadside temperature gauges and it was still reading 28 degrees at 7:30 in the evening.
I like Montpellier and I've been there a few times to skate the parks in that area. No board this time, so while Mick sat in the hotel restaurant (and we later found out, charged his food to his room!) Dave and I went into town for a wander about and to get some food. We stopped off at a bar that Dave knew, Cafe Joseph, and had a drink, but Dave said it had changed since he was last there and it's all trying to be jazzy now. Not jazzy enough for us though, so we were off to get some food up the road. Pizza again, but I love it. Afterwards we walked back through some of the winding streets of the town which made me think that I must get back there sometime soon.